Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Painting Palms

Palm Tree, Nassau, Winslow Homer

The only book I brought along from my studio is “Winslow Homer Watercolors”. If I could paint like anyone it would be Winslow Homer, his strong compositions, economy of brush strokes, and clear color. I find myself constantly admiring the palms here. They are so graceful and limber in the wind and carve such strong shapes against the sky.





moonrise over palms, San Diego

I have been trying to identify some palms growing along one of the streets we ride every day. They caught my eye because of the strange flowers, palm pom poms I guess you could say. They are most interesting just as the flowers are emerging, like presents being slowly opened. The wrappings unfold and drop onto the streets like sheets of building materials.




Also strange are the cones of the cycads buried in domes of decorative leaves, heavy and soft as felt. I find the diversity of plants here wonderful and bewildering—basically the streets, gardens, and parks are stuffed with plants from all over the world, especially Australia, South Africa and the Mediterranean. To see some of these check out sandiegoplants


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Alison, but I was much more fascinated by your "painting palms", their watercolours, their fruit than on your comments on Canadian politics and singers, I am so ignorant but anyway enjoy reading you

Alison Watt said...

Brigitte
great to know you are tuning in to the blog from your little paradise so far away. We are in a little harbour on the island of Catalina, which, I think must be very much like a Mediterranean town.